The Artist and the Others
The Artist and the Others is a non-profit foundation that supports young artists and cultural professionals during their careers in the cultural field. All activities of the Foundation are based on recognising the profound importance of Art in Society, the benefit which can come with shared knowledge, and the urgent necessity of contrasting unequal and unsustainable structures of the art world. The Artist and the Others, initiated in 2013, targets the gaps which experts and reports highlight by developing projects, exhibitions, workshops & coaching sessions directed at addressing the needs of artists and professionals alongside international partners.
What is our goal?
90% of graduated artists do not make it.
Our goal is to overcome the difficulties that artists and cultural professionals encounter in the first years after their studies, bridging the gaps between education and the professional world. Our purpose is to help professionals today, in that critical period in which they need to have the knowledge, develop the necessary skills, and establish connections.
How do we support talents?
Our projects are based on an in-depth understanding of the educational and cultural world, truly reflecting artists’ and cultural professionals’ current needs.
We actively talk to artists and professionals to hear about their experience and the difficulties and obstacles faced, and initiate conversations with the cultural community and researchers to form the pillars of our projects. Each project is based on a framework to address these gaps. Bringing together our expertise and connections, we co-create high-quality solutions which are both fair and sustainable for early career professionals.
What do we do?
The Artist and the Others: initiating projects from current needs, providing workshops and coaching sessions, enabling connections across borders, promoting fair & sustainable art practices.
- Summer School for Artists
- Professional Workshops
- Coaching Sessions
- Local Exhibitions (Maastricht)
- Euregional Projects (Euregio Meuse-Rhine: Maastricht, Liège, Ghent, Hasselt, Aachen)
- International Projects (The Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Croatia)
- European Collaborations
Each project is based on sharing knowledge, enhancing skills, creating awareness of the cultural world and developing new connections. We strongly believe that a combination of talent, skills and expertise can expand professional connections and shape artistic futures.
- Universities (Maastricht University)
- Academies (Maastricht Academy of Fine Arts and design, PXL & Mad Faculty – Hasselt)
- Governmental institutions (Province of Limburg and Municipality of Maastricht)
- Cultural organizations in the Euregio (Designmetropole Aachen, The Space Collection, Comptoir des Ressources Creatives, Wallonie Design, Le Brasseurs in Liège, Hasselt Triennale, Z33, Marres)
- Cultural organisations (Kunstpodium T, Patty Morgan foundation)
- & Independent Professionals (researchers, curators, lawyers… )
The Artist and the Others works as a ‘cultural connector’ bridging different institutions and cultural professionals.