The Town Hall of Maastricht dates from 1662, it was designed by Pieter Post and is located on the market.
In 1655 the city council gave Pieter Post the order to build a town hall. In order to realize this the Belfry, the Cloth Hall, the Prison Gate, part of the city wall with the Lie Gate and several houses on the market have been destroyed. This created a market square and the City Hall of Maastricht could be built in the middle. Stones from the Prison Gate are reused in the foundations of the new town.
The Duke of Brabant and the Prince-Bishop of Liège Maastricht ruled until the end of the 17th century. The left side of the hall is the Brabant side and the right side contains the Liège rooms. The prince-bishop was higher in rank than the Duke and therefore the Liège rooms are located on the main side of the building.
(Source: E. Henderichs)
In 1659 the foundation stone was laid by the De La Montaigne and the high sheriff Groulart. In the western corner of the city hall they buried a brass plaque and a lead bus with coins. The assistant (architect Cornelis Pesser) by Pieter Post was the ultimate responsible for the execution of a project.